Updated June 10, 2019

Heavy smoke greeted Pulaski Fire Department as they fought a Sunday afternoon house fire at 638 Victoria Street just after 1 p.m.

The house was owned and occupied by Dorothy Hardison , who escaped safely thanks to Nancy Russ,  a passerby that discovered the smoke coming from a window and called 911.

Pulaski Fire Department Chief Don Collins reported a bedroom in the home received heavy smoke damage along with minimal water damage.

Collins said when their department arrived the home owner could not escape  the smoke fill room because she could not walk and was in a wheelchair.

"I appreciate PSO Andy Griggs and Lake Foster for going inside the home to rescue Hardison and bring her outside to safety.

According to Collins, the home had three smoke detectors without batteries.

Cause of the fire was from a scented candle following to the floor. Damage to the home was estimated at $5,000.